Monday, May 3, 2010

So Freaking Tired

I remember back when I was a kid how little sleep I needed to wake up refreshed and ready to go for the day.  Sometimes as little as 3 hours worth would be enough for me to wake up happy and refreshed.  I wouldn't dare try that now.
At 27, even the thought of 7 hours of sleep terrifies me.  At times I've set myself up for a nice 9 hours of sleep. This never seems to work, as my biological clock wakes me up 2 hours before my alarm goes off for work, still tired as hell.  And this only makes me want to rip out this proverbial clock and throw it out the GD window.  Why would your body wake you up so early? I think I need to sync my clock with NASA time or something because it's just getting ridiculous.
It's such a change from my past what I can and cannot pull off especially in the realm of sleeping habits.  I have pulled all-nighters, gone out partying until 5 or 6am, and have generally spit in the face of common sense and good rest.  It seems that those insults to rest have caught up with me now.  There's no way on God's green Earth that I could stay up until 5 or 6 in the morning, let alone all night.  I'd be lucky to go past midnight these days.  I start to feel a bit tired usually around 10.  Am I really that old? Where did that crazy spirit go?
I've accepted the fact that I'm not the energetic 18 year old anymore.  I've accepted that I have far more responsibilities than I used to as well.  But if I ever start going to be earlier than 10 on a regular basis, along with waking up at 4 in the morning like many seniors, I may as well lay down and die right there as life wouldn't be fun at all anymore.
Until then, I'll start training like Rocky to pull off one more all-nighter before I turn 30.  That is, unless I fall asleep in the middle of training and don't remember what I was doing or what my name is when I wake up.

Cheers,

Blake

1 comment:

  1. funny, I'm 39 and still run on 4 to 5 hours sleep regularly.
    hmmm I must just be better than you.

    ReplyDelete